"On a warm, humid, late summer evening, with a gentle southerly sea breeze from Wallace Creek protecting us from the mosquitoes, my father takes me on a little tour of 'home'. Once the Robert Fuller Plantation (also called Fuller Place) and later called the Yard Farm (in Gullah – 'de Ya’ad'), there is important history here that I want to capture."
So begins the journey, guided by lifelong St. Helena Island native, Sonny Bishop. Through this sensitive and introspective narrative, made rich by Sonny’s personal stories and photographs from his large collection, readers are invited to ponder the meaning of home, the importance of family, and the growth and change that can come from challenges and adversity.
- Experience Dataw Island before it was developed.
- Feel the sadness of those who lost their Sea Island homes during the Civil War.
- Hear the challenges of truck farming that was so important to Beaufort.
- Confront the terror of Hurricane Gracie.
Marvel at the beauty, charm, and history of this place we call home.
Videos from A Place Called Home
Exploring the Slave Cemetery from Fuller Plantation on St. Helena Island, SC
St. Helena Island, South Carolina -
the place we call home
"Then and Now"
A slideshow tribute to the changes over the years in Beaufort and the Sea Islands
Copyright 2013 Yard Farm Publications
Purchase a Book
Books are hardcover with a dust jacket and contain 203 pages of history, stories, reflections, and previously unpublished pictures of Beaufort and
St. Helena Island, South Carolina.
We encourage buying local! Books are available in these
Beaufort, South Carolina stores:
- Beaufort Book Store on Boundary
- McIntosh Book Shoppe on Bay St.
- Grayco Hardware on Lady's Island